Oris 2021 Limited Edition Watches
Tuesday - 27 July 2021
It’s a really good time to be an Oris fan. Watches from the Swiss brand have been conveying some very strong messages this year, especially those of the limited edition kind. In this article, we’re going to run through the limited edition watches by Oris for 2021 - from vintage-inspired Divers Sixty Five watches to those that aim to raise awareness of ocean conservation. Let’s get started…
Aquis GMT Whale Shark Limited Edition
This 43.5mm Oris Limited Edition watch is based on the Aquis GMT design and boasts a gradient shark-skin-effect dial as part of the brand’s ocean conservation-themed limited edition series. Its focus is directed towards whale shark conservation efforts in particular but also combines a useful GMT function with the indispensable features of the Aquis dive watch. Built for water, dry land and air – the Oris Aquis GMT Whale Shark Limited Edition can travel with you, dive with you or become part of your daily wristwear. The model marks a relationship with a very special photographer and conservationist - Gerardo del Villar, who just so happens to be an ambassador for Oris. Having worked with whale sharks for over 15 years, Gerardo’s knowledge of these majestic creatures is matched by Oris’ expert watchmaking know-how. This limited edition watch for 2021 features a sharkskin-textured gradient dial in stunning shades of deep blue-green, creating the perfect backdrop for contrasting orange accents.
Providing the watch’s useful GMT function is the Oris calibre 798, caged inside a 30-meter water-resistant stainless steel case. Used in combination with the 24-hour inner scale on the dial, a second time zone can easily be tracked whilst on the go. In addition to this, a 24-hour scale is provided on the black ceramic bezel too. Underwater, however, the luminous-coated hands and indexes can be referenced easily, whilst a stainless steel bracelet secures firmly to the wrist with a folding clasp and a diver extension mechanism. The limited-to-2016 pieces Oris Aquis GMT Whale Shark watch also features a caseback engraved with an image depicting the eponymous fish. The 2016 pieces nod to the year in which IUCN made the stark announcement that the global population of whale sharks had halved over the previous 75 years. By working with Gerardo and supporting his work, Oris can continue its mission to bring Change for the Better through the ever-popular design of the Oris Aquis.
At a glance:
- Case: 43.5mm – stainless steel – 300-meter water-resistant – anti-reflective sapphire crystal glass front- specially engraved caseback – black ceramic bezel with 24-hour scale – screw-in crown and crown protection guard
- Dial: Blue-green gradient shark-skin-effect - luminous hour markers and hands – inner 24-hour scale – orange-tipped GMT hand – date at 3 o’clock
- Movement: Oris caliber 798 – automatic – 28,800 v.p.h – 42-hour power reserve
- Strap: Polished and brushed stainless steel – folding clasp – diver extension feature
- Limited to: 2016 prices
- Price: £2,250
Aquis Dat Watt Limited Edition
A line of focussed partnerships and limited edition watch releases have been the key to a successful mission for Oris – to make a “Change for the Better”. Part of its efforts for 2021 includes the release of the Oris Aquis Dat Watt Limited Edition, which borrows the local name for "Wadden Sea" in a low German dialect. The Wadden Sea is the world's largest tidal system and a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Obviously, since Oris has deep connections to the sea, it would seem a no-brainer that the unfaltering features of the Aquis watch should be brought on board for the design of the Dat Watt Limited Edition watch. The model combines the Aquis DNA with the pointer date function. It can track the lunar cycle and tidal flows of the Northern Hemisphere, offering a unique timepiece with plenty of cool and quirky concepts to play about with. The Oris Aquis Dat Watt watch is limited to 2,009 pieces worldwide and features a robust case crafted from stainless steel.
The watch is one of the first steps of a new partnership between the famous Swiss watchmaker and the Common Wadden Sea Secretariat. Its 300-meter water resistance makes it ideal for taking a dip with, but thanks to a matching steel bracelet and a folding clasp, it can also double-up as a sophisticated timepiece for evening events and professional daytime attire. The Oris 761 calibre powers away relentlessly inside the rugged steel case. The tide track is located inside the concentric ring alongside the date, and once the 29.5-day lunar cycle is set correctly to the pointer date, it reads the expected minimum and maximum tides. Other features of the watch include a unidirectional rotating bezel and a specially engraved caseback depicting the Wadden Sea.
At a Glance:
- Case: 43mm – stainless steel – multipiece - 300-meter water-resistant – brushed grey ceramic unidirectional rotating bezel – specially engraved caseback – screw-down crown
- Dial: Gradient grey-blue dial – Super-LumiNova coated hands and indexes – date window at 6 o’clock - lunar/tidal pointer - lunar cycle/tidal markings
- Movement: Oris 761 Calibre – automatic- 38-hour power reserve – 28,800 v.p.h – modified Sellita movement with Oris’ pointer moon indication and centrally mounted hand
- Strap: Stainless steel – brushed and polished – folding clasp – diver extension feature
- Limited to: 2009 pieces
- Price: £1,950
Calibre 401 Carl Brashear Limited Edition
The relationship between Oris and the American Foundation, Carl Brashear goes back to 2016 when Oris produced its first-ever bronze watch. The popular Divers Sixty Five vintage-inspired model has inspired this new Calibre 401 Carl Brashear watch, limited to just 2000 pieces worldwide. The design of the watch is a tribute to the man who never gave up. The man who faced racial prejudice, many adversities and achieved great things despite his disability. After the events of 2020, the Oris Carl Brashear Limited Edition watch is a poignant design that stands for much more than just a vintage-inspired limited edition watch. It celebrates the life of a man who became the first African-American master diver in the history of the U.S. Navy.
The new Carl Brashear watch by Oris is centred around proportions and mechanics. Its case has been crafted from bronze – a living material that patinates over time, reacting with external elements like oxygen and saltwater and telling a story of the wearer as it does so. Playing even more on vintage cues, the watch measures a more compact size of 40mm compared to its predecessors. An ultra-domed sapphire crystal glass front not only protects a deep blue marine-inspired dial colour but brings some really cool distortions to the display. Of course. The Calibre 401 by Oris is used again in the design of this Carl Brashear limited edition watch. It promises an accuracy of -3 to +5 seconds a day and comes with an impressive 10-year warranty, promising a 120-hour power reserve.
Gold-coloured indexes are shaped into dots and treated with Super-LumiNova, as are the hands. Interestingly the absence of the date window brings about another opportunity in the form of a small seconds sub-dial, which resides in the same area. One of the most interesting elements of the new limited edition Oris watch for 2021 is its moisture-wicking woven elastic nylon webbing strap in deep blue with a gold stripe running through the centre. A brushed bronze fastening has been engraved with the Oris lettering to complete its era-defining look.
At a glance:
- Case: Bronze – 40mm – brushed – unidirectional rotating bezel with 60-minute dive scale – screw-down crown – 100-meter water-resistant – domed anti-reflective sapphire crystal glass front – steel caseback
- Dial: Navy blue – domed – cream-coloured Super-LumiNova hands and hour markers – central hour and minute hands – small second sub-dial at 6 o’clock
- Movement: Oris Calibre 401 – automatic - 120-hour power reserve – 24 jewels – 28,800 v.p.h
- Strap: Deep blue - woven elastic nylon webbing strap - produced in partnership with Erika’s Originals – bronze buckle
- Limited to: 2000 pieces
- Price: £3,350
Big Crown ProPilot TLP Limited Edition
The Oris Big Crown ProPilot TLP limited Edition watch is exclusive to just 750 pieces and features a deep military-green dial accompanied by distinct pilot-inspired Arabic numeral hour markers in white. A day date feature resides at the 3 o’clock location, housed under a sapphire crystal glass front. A shot of red colour can be seen in the tip of the central second hand and Superluminova BG W9 Grade A has been used in the elements of the dial. These lume plots promise legible timekeeping throughout the night or whilst sat in the cockpit. The 44mm stainless steel model with an anti-glare gun-metal grey PVD coating is fitted on an olive-coloured textile strap with a grey PVD plated folding clasp. It also comes with a travel pouch set and showcases some elements that have been inspired by a TLP pilots’ flight overalls. The green Ventile® strap is a high-performance textile that was invented during the Second World War for British Royal Air Force pilots. During this crucial time, it saved the lives of many a pilot forced to ditch during important operations.
The new Oris Big Crown ProPilot TLP Limited Edition watch carries the TLP lettering and a special edition number on its closed caseback. Having secured a relationship with NATO’s pilot training school based in Albacete, Spain, Oris continues to strengthen its reputation in the industry for creating robust and reliable tools dedicated to the world of aviation. The 100-meter water-resistant pilot’s watch bears vintage-inspired beige elements that capture the same shade as those used for the TLP golden eagle logo and the watch is also powered by the Oris Calibre 752. This self-winding engine provides a 38-hour power reserve and performs at a rate of 28,800 vibrations per hour.
At a glance:
- Case: 44mm – stainless steel with anti-glare gunmetal grey PVD coating – 100-meter water resistance – caseback featuring the TLP logo and limited edition number – anti reflective sapphire crystal glass front
- Dial: Dark olive green – Super-LumiNova BG W9 Grade A hands and Arabic numerals – day and date at 3 o’clock – beige elements – red-tipped central second hand
- Movement: Oris 752 Calibre – self-winding – 28,800 v.p.h – 38-hour power reserve
- Strap: Olive green Ventile® strap - steel gunmetal grey PVD-coated folding clasp
- Limited to: 750 pieces
- Price: £1,850