This policy is provided by March Guard who are the appointed brokers to the Giftware Association and have been the official brokers to the British Jewellers Association for around 40 years. For full information, visit their website www.thmarch.co.uk
The main benefits of our extended cover are as follows:
- 3 years accidental damage cover
- 3 years cover if lost, stolen (except from cars) or damaged (beyond repair)
- UK & worldwide cover (up to 30 consecutive days abroad)
- No excess
If you want cover, but believe that you are covered on your household insurance, then we advise that you contact them to confirm this as many household insurances have limited watch & jewellery cover (especially abroad) with claims carrying £50+ excesses and affecting future premiums. Finally, while you are considering the benefits of this policy, you may purchase your watch without the policy and add it on prior to delivery.
The full terms and conditions shown on the issued certificate are as follows:
March Guard Jewellery 3 Year Insurance Policy
We agree to REPAIR if accidentally damaged, or REPLACE if lost, stolen or damaged beyond repair the items described on page 1 whilst anywhere within the geographical limits stated below.
This certificate does not entitle the holder to a cash settlement in the event of a claim.
Anywhere in the United Kingdom (including the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands) plus up to 30 consecutive days elsewhere.
Inflation Provision, applicable only to 3 year policies:
If, as a result of inflation, the Replacement Value(s) shown on page 1 of this Certificate prove(s) inadequate to repair or replace the item(s), the Replacement Value(s) will be increased to allow fair repair or replacement, but such increase shall not exceed 20% of the original value(s).
- Any loss, theft or damage occurring prior to the first receipt of the insured items by the Assured.
- Any cost of repair or replacement which improves an insured item beyond its condition before the loss or damage occurred.
- Any item of jewellery with an individual insured replacement value exceeding £5000, or any watch exceeding £3,000, or any collection of jewellery and/or watches over all current March Guard certificates in any one household in excess of £10,000 insured replacement value, at the time of the loss or damage.
- Any Assured not resident in the United Kingdom
- Any item composed entirely of brittle material.
- Any losses whatsoever from baggage UNLESS carried by hand under the personal supervision of the purchaser or the Assured.
- Any item stolen from an unattended vehicle.
- Any loss or damage from sendings, unless by Royal Mail Special Delivery.
- Any loss attributable to the actions of mechanical or electrical breakdown or derangement (in the case of a watch or a clock), moth, vermin, gradual deterioration, wear and tear, or the process of cleaning, repair or renovation.
- Any loss or expense whatsoever arising from consequential loss.
- Any loss or legal liability whatsoever arising directly or indirectly from:
- ionising radiations or contamination by radioactivity from any nuclear fuel or from any nuclear waste from the combustion of nuclear fuel
- the radioactive, toxic, explosive or other hazardous properties of any explosive nuclear assembly or nuclear component thereof.
- Any loss or damage arising from war, invasion, act of foreign enemies, hostilities (whether war be declared or not), civil war, rebellion, revolution, insurrection, military or usurped power or confiscation or nationalisation or requisition or destruction of or damage to property by or under the order of any government or public or local authority.
- All repairs and replacements must be effected by the issuing Jeweller.
- The maximum payment made will not exceed the replacement value shown for an item on page 1 of this Certificate, except as stated in the Inflation Provision.
- All reasonable steps must be taken to prevent loss or damage and maintain the items in good condition.
- Underwriters may cancel this certificate by giving thirty (30) days notice of such cancellation in writing to the Assured at his/her last known address and the premium will be adjusted on the basis of Underwriters receiving or retaining the appropriate pro rata premium.
- Unless specifically agreed in writing by Underwriters this insurance shall be subject to English Law.
- "Cooling Off" - This insurance may be cancelled within 14 days of inception of cover provided the certificate of insurance is returned to the issuing Jeweller within this period and no claim has been made.
- It is a condition of this insurance that the Assured shall: -
- Notify the issuing Jeweller within thirty (30) days of the date of any loss or damage which may lead to a claim being made.
- Notify the police immediately if any of the items listed on page 1 are lost or stolen.
- Provide the Jeweller or any person appointed by Underwriters with any information, documentation, or evidence of a loss they might reasonably require to consider a claim.
- There is no liability under this certificate where the Assured is entitled to indemnity under any other insurance EXCEPT in respect of any excess beyond the amount which would have been covered under such other insurance had this insurance not been effected.
- If the Assured makes any claim knowing it to be false or fraudulent in respect of any loss or the amount involved, this insurance will be declared void and all claims made under it will be forfeited.
- In the event of a difference arising between the Assured and Underwriters which cannot be settled by mutual agreement, this will be settled by arbitration. Three arbitrators will be appointed, one by the Assured, one by Underwriters and the third to be chosen by the other two. The arbitrators shall decide by majority decision and there will be no appeal against their decision by either party. The responsibility for payment of the arbitrator's expenses shall be decided by the arbitrators.
Should you need to make a claim under this certificate simply contact the Jeweller that issued this certificate to notify the loss at your earliest opportunity and within 30 days in any event. In addition you must ALWAYS notify the police, even when abroad, of any loss caused by theft or the disappearance of an item and obtain a report crime number, which will, without exception, be required by your Underwriters.